Switch Views:
  • view list
  • view lightbox
  • view single item
© The Frick Collection
Titian  (ca. 1488–1576)
Portrait of a Man in a Red Cap, ca. 1510
Oil on canvas
32 3/8 x 28 in. (82.2 x 71.1 cm)
Henry Clay Frick Bequest
Accession number: 1915.1.116
Currently on View
Living Hall (139)
Link to floorplan and Virtual Tour
Audio
Commentary: Various identities for the richly dressed young man in this portrait have been proposed, but none with any certainty. Nevertheless, the portrait seems to have been well known, at least in the seventeenth century; Carlo Dolci included a copy of the figure in the background of his Martyrdom of St. Andrew (Palazzo Pitti, Florence). The painting is generally considered an early work of Titian. The contemplative mood of the subject and the diffused, gentle play of light over the broadly painted surfaces are strongly reminiscent of Titian’s Venetian contemporary Giorgione. The canvas has in the past even been attributed to Giorgione. In mood, pose, and technique, the Frick portrait closely resembles the central figure of The Concert (Palazzo Pitti), a painting that also has been ascribed both to Titian and to Giorgione.

Source: Art in The Frick Collection: Paintings, Sculpture, Decorative Arts, New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1996
Collections: Paul Methuen, London (?). Gratiana Methuen Rogers, daughter of Paul Methuen and wife of the Reverend John Rogers. Through their son, John Methuen Rogers, whose niece and adopted daughter, Elizabeth Wilson, married Edward Edgell, rector of Rodden, Frome, the painting passed to the Edgell family. On the death of Edward Edgell, it passed to his son, E.B. Edgell, Standerwick Court, Somerset, who placed it on sale at Christie’s, June 24, 1876, Lot 122, and bought it back for £95 11s. Methuen Edgell (son of E.B. Edgell) sale, May 12, 1906, Christie’s, Lot 75, sold for £2,205 to Sir Hugh Lane. Sold by him in 1911, for £30,000, to Arthur Grenfell. His sale, June 26, 1914, Christie’s, Lot 66, bought back by Sir Hugh Lane. Frick, 1915.

Source: Paintings in The Frick Collection: French, Italian and Spanish. Volume II. New York: The Frick Collection, 1968.